Monday, June 14, 2010

Crafty Escapades

Recently I have been super into embroidering on clothes, there's something about wearing the things that you craft that is so special. Maybe it's the fact that you’re proud of it, or that you get to say "I made it!" Whatever it is I love it. I am always on the hunt for clothes or accessories that I can embroider on. For months I searched for the perfect white jean jacket, it would be the perfect blank canvas for colorful stitches. About a month ago I finally found one at Target for only $20(reason number 1 million why target is the best!) and began stitching my favorite transfer from our Smile for the Camera Pattern:

I put my white jean jacket dreams on hold during the rainbow of stitches contest, but now it's back on! I spent all weekend satin stitching the black squares of the film strip (satin stitch I conquered you!) and I'm almost done. As soon as I finish it's photo time! Can't wait to show you, I'm giddy :)

On another crafty note, since I have been using my new sewing machine more I have been buying and drooling over way to complicated patterns. I keep daydreaming of sewing everything I imagine and them embroidering on it to make it extra special. I love western shirts, partly because of their southern charm and partly because they lend themselves so beautifully to embroidery. At the Bay Area Maker Faire this year I stumbled across a booth with exquisite vintage inspired patterns that got me so excited and the first thing I saw was a western shirt pattern. I wanted to buy it so bad, but I knew that my sewing skills were no where close to being able to tailor and fit a shirt. I had to settle for taking a business card, leaving that western pattern behind.

If you are way better at sewing than I, you have to look at all of the vintage patterns for sale at Decades of Style Pattern Company. Oh how I wish I had hundreds of hours to practice! Someday you western shirt you...


Via JazzBoogie

I can't wait to get off work so I can CRAFT!

xoxo
Katy

1 comment:

MafiosaGrrl said...

OMG... me too- I love stitching on clothes. And western shirts. I am not cool enough to make them myself either but I would love to be able to.

Your jacket sounds awesome, I can't wait to see it :)